Filipino Manga Artists

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Hai

Post by Hai »

Seven Seas is an equal oppurtunity employer, meaning we have no special preference to the nationality/gender of the artists we hire. The only real reason why majority of the current Seven Seas artists are based in the Philippines is because they were some of the few people who replied to the want ad we posted and actually passed our guidelines (this was years ago).

Seven Seas is actively looking to hiring more superb artists of various ethnicity and is currently working with some highly talented non-Filipino talents on various books due out this year.

In this highly competitive industry, sheer talent is the only thing that truly counts. :happyhappy:

Cheers!
HAI!

PS> Julsitos, amazingly enough, I've actually seen those "Signs of the Times" pictures you've posted in your blog. Good thing I don't drive because I keep reading those signs everytime we pass through the highway. :sweat:
Pandora: A Death Jr Manga out now!

Hai

Post by Hai »

It's a pity that here in the Philippines, the artists have great talent but the market for local comics are really atrocious and unsustainable.
Actually, there is a strong healthy market. The problem lies with the local distributors. It takes them so long to remit back the money to the publishers that they practically killed the local manga books we so enjoyed. Distribution is pretty much both bane and boon to small publishers.
I fear competitive is an understatement.
Competition is pretty much fierce everywhere. And it's about twice as hard for an aspiring non-japanese manga artist to break into the market than a comic book artist. Big publishers would often rather license Japanese manga than produce their own original stories like we do at Seven Seas.
ps> Hai, bacolodnon ka man? Kun pirmi ka nagalabay sa talisay, sayuron ilonggo ka man gali. Eksakto huna-huna ko?
hehehe you're off by several miles. I'm Silaynon actually. :catgirl:

cheers!
HAI!

Hai

Post by Hai »

Hai, i got a feeling that you're from Silay. heheheheh siguro El Ideal adlaw-adlay ay?... I enjoyed reading your contribution (the fire in the sugarcane field) in Siglo:Freedom. From all the stories there, I have to admit yours has the most emotional impact. It's raw but not cloying- what great stories should be.
haha, glad you like that story. It was actually the most challenging comic work I ever did. Story and 12-pages of grayscaled art in less than 8 hours! And I had to upload the pages by dial-up on the same day as well. I still can't believe I actually pulled that off.

Anyway, I'm especially glad that someone finally understood the local dialect I sprinkled throughout the story. It tells half the story. :happyhappy:
Back to SSE, if ever there will be another Anime convention here in Manila, will SSE send a booth here?
Seven Seas actually had a booth in last October's Komikon. Unfortunately, the con goers totally had no idea who we were. They thought it was the reunion of Culture Crash (the defunct manga magazine where we got most of our artists) :sweat:

Not sure what the plans are for this year but anything is a possibility.

Cheers!
HAI!

Hai

Post by Hai »

Were you at the SSE booth Hai?
Nope. It's too far away and I'm too poor to travel. :sweat:

Cheers!
HAI!