Strawberry Panic Complete Novel questions

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Astraea127

Strawberry Panic Complete Novel questions

Post by Astraea127 »

Hello there, i have afew questions regarding the novel. I haven't read any novels before, i usually go for the manga's first. However, I am a fan of the yuri series Strawberry Panic! and have afew questions for it.

Q1. How is the novel different from the manga? I have the 2 volumes of the manga, so i'm not sure how it is different.

Q2. Is the cover for the Complete Novel Collection fixed, or is there alternate covers, from the pairings from the schools of (Miator, Spica and Lulim). Its not that I don't like the Lulim cover, but i believe its more "original" if collecting the Complete Novel Collection, using the Miator would be better?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Strawberry Panic Complete Novel questions

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Astraea127 wrote:Q1. How is the novel different from the manga? I have the 2 volumes of the manga, so i'm not sure how it is different.
Vol. 1-2 of the manga cover the events of the 1st novel. The 2 extra chapters (13-14) in the manga omnibus cover the first chapter-ish of the 2nd novel.

So the novels cover all of the competition and have a definite conclusion.

Q2. Is the cover for the Complete Novel Collection fixed, or is there alternate covers, from the pairings from the schools of (Miator, Spica and Lulim). Its not that I don't like the Lulim cover, but i believe its more "original" if collecting the Complete Novel Collection, using the Miator would be better?
We're using the artwork from the 3rd novel, which we never published prior to now. The single editions of novel 1 and 2 have the other pairs that you're asking about.

pekoe

Post by pekoe »

Is there any chance of getting a dust jacket with the volume 1 art for the compilation? As someone who owns the first two already, I have to say that the last volume cover art is the least representative of the actual series. A bit of a shame given that the book is the entire series, so it'd make a little more sense for it to re-use the first volume's art. Flagship pair for the flagship release, such as it is (much like the DVD box set!). The dust jacket would be a fantastic option if you provided it -- at least then you could cover two bases! :)

Can't please everyone though, as I'm sure some would like to have the third to have the 'full set' of art, but again, as someone who already owns the first two, a repeat of the first makes a lot more sense, as they're the primary pair of the novels. The Chikaru/Kizuna cover is really kind of stand-alone as a weird hold out to the original magazine short stories.

I can't speak for others but I'd gladly pay you folks directly if you just did mail-outs of a supplemental dust jacket cover. Right now, even, sight-unseen. Just show me where to send the check! :)

Either way, I'm really glad to see that you're going ahead with the publication of a compilation in order to get the third novel out. I've already got multiple copies pre-ordered to distribute as gifts.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

pekoe wrote:Is there any chance of getting a dust jacket with the volume 1 art for the compilation?
We don't have any plans for a dust jacket. Since we're trying to make an affordable omnibus collection, a dust jacket would only serve as a significant additional cost that would result in a higher cover price.

ashfire

Post by ashfire »

I have just finish reading Strawberry Panic light novel and began to wonder did they plan to end the story this way? They had just started to get into the contest and then it just ends.
I have heard there is a anime series which I guess continues to where you find out how the story ends.
Would there be a chance that the manga story will continue later by the author and the artist?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

ashfire wrote:I have just finish reading Strawberry Panic light novel and began to wonder did they plan to end the story this way? They had just started to get into the contest and then it just ends.
I have heard there is a anime series which I guess continues to where you find out how the story ends.
Would there be a chance that the manga story will continue later by the author and the artist?
You meant that you read the manga omnibus and not the novels, correct?

The manga series is only two volumes long and covers up through the end of novel 1 (and the two bonus chapters in the omnibus cover the start of novel 2).

Our upcoming Strawberry Panic: The Complete Novel Collection will contain all 3 novels and does indeed tell the ENTIRE story from beginning to touching end.

GunStinger

Post by GunStinger »

I was wondering if there are any plans to release volume 3 as a separate volume as well?

I'm not a big fan of omnibus collections, especially if I already have 2/3 of the contents on my shelf, so I'd much prefer v.3 separately.
That, and I like the smaller format you used for them - small hands ^^;

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

GunStinger wrote:I was wondering if there are any plans to release volume 3 as a separate volume as well?
We don't have any plans to release the third book individually. Books 1 and 2 are long out of print and our "Light Novel" line has gone to that big imprint pasture in the sky.

ninemil

Post by ninemil »

ashfire wrote:I have just finish reading Strawberry Panic light novel and began to wonder did they plan to end the story this way? They had just started to get into the contest and then it just ends.
There are two canon storylines for Strawberry Panic, both developed (almost) at the same time by separate groups - the novel/manga canon, and the anime canon. The two plots are very different, with variations in setting tone, characterization and character design as well. Consider the anime a little more 'grown up' and the manga/novel a bit more 'care free.' The anime hinges very heavily on the negative aspects of grief, and is much less fan service driven.

Seven Seas are due to give us the full novel canon, (which was also completed in Japanese some time ago,) in this forthcoming omnibus. The manga was never completed in Japanese, and Seven Seas have already given us everything that was released in the manga omnibus. Speculative reasoning behind the halted manga adaption of the novel are varied, ranging from the artist having a nervous breakdown, to the paperback release's financial inviability compared to the anime. Either way, grab what you can of the manga from Seven Seas while it's available and on sale, because it's never likely to be finished - the copyright owners in Japan archived the series many years ago, and sold off the website url not long after. The anime is also still available, although it is becoming much harder to find - it was licensed by Media Blasters in the west, and its catalogue entry is available here.

There is a huge wealth of series information on wikipedia here. I hope the extra information is helpful.

Harukochan

Post by Harukochan »

Isn't it nice that the complaints about the novels have mostly stopped?

Smaruc

Post by Smaruc »

hi, i have a question about the page count for this complete novel omnibus

according to the website the omnibus will have 672 pages but at the same time the website says that volume 1 has 328 pages and volume 2 360 pages which equal 688 (give or take some blank, commercial pages) and according to amazon.com i read that volume 3 would have 320 pages (might be wrong though),

but anyway the first two novels would be 688 while it says that the omnibus is 672, how many pages is the third volume at? or is it wrong information on the site?

i think it was during 2010 that i started to get more interested in light novels so i guess i was to late in buying the first printed novels so i dont really know the page count on them except for what the site says, but when i saw that this is on its way i got happy.

come to think of something (looks at the trim info on site, take my converter to check how many cm it is, yes i'm not from usa so i am not good with inches). so it will be slightly bigger then the first novels was and i guess thats why it would amount a lower page count compared to the smaller versions? anyway just needed to get this out of my head so i can stop thinking about it.

oh and thanks in advance for this complete novel omnibus and a certain scientific railgun and thanks for bringing the toradora manga here in a language i can understand.

greetings from Sweden.

GunStinger

Post by GunStinger »

The original 2 novels had the same dimensions as the original japanese ones, about half as large as a standard, western novel. I'm guessing the omnibus uses the standard format, since in the original format it would be thicker than an encyclopedia, so there's less pages, but more text per page.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Yes, the novel omnibus has a larger trim size. The size is 5" x 7.125", which makes it the same trim size as our recent Strawberry Panic manga omnibus. And yes, the new trim size does allow us to reduce the page counts of the original novels as we can fit more text on a page. All of the original content is included in some form in the omnibus, so you get the complete experience.

Smaruc

Post by Smaruc »

Adam Arnold wrote:Yes, the novel omnibus has a larger trim size. The size is 5" x 7.125", which makes it the same trim size as our recent Strawberry Panic manga omnibus. And yes, the new trim size does allow us to reduce the page counts of the original novels as we can fit more text on a page. All of the original content is included in some form in the omnibus, so you get the complete experience.
thanks for the answer, at first when i read the announcement i did not take the format into consideration and thats where i started to question the page count but now i know why it is less then i thought it would be.

looking forward to june. :happyhappy:

athenawillowtree

Post by athenawillowtree »

I'm soooo glad that you are releasing the complete story, I am completely in love with this series. Don't supose there is any chance for the same to happen with Ballad of a Shinigami is there?