Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

brasca

Re: PTC 09-05-19 Terrible idea

Post by brasca »

Alice Macher wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm
brasca wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:21 pm
Jung might've been nicer about giving her a job, but do keep in mind she gave him a black eye when they first met. And like Aaron she hasn't been that good of an employee.
Agreed on the black eye bit; that was simply measure for measure on Jung's part. But apart from being upset when Jung made her wear a costume she hated (and upsetting her was his intent; see: black eye), was she really a bad employee? Jung soon appreciated having her around: her antics with Yuki, according to Jung, soon "doubled [the shop's] clientele." As a result, Jung called her a "keeper." She even later voluntarily, and enthusiastically, cosplayed as Nekomimi Mimi to make up for being late to work, and that brought in even more customers. (To be sure, she also committed no-nos such as reading yaoi on the job, but when Jung called her on it, she pointed out that the boss wasn't paying him to eat jerky on the job either. So he let it go.)

Aaron, in contrast, seems to be dead weight so far. (Unlike with Zii, even having him in costume doesn't contribute to the business, other than keeping Jung amused I guess.) The only reason I say "so far" is that there's the possibility he'll surprise everyone by coming up with a genuinely good superhero idea for the publishing imprint. But based on what we've seen of him, I doubt it.
Good points, but I remember the time Zii took a long lunch which meant Jung had to mind the store alone and really needed to use the restroom.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If the creators had any thoughts on the Zii/Jung relationship beyond “here’s a source of occasional jokes” (which I doubt), I guess that it could be that Jung came to see Zii as a good sparring partner. If he sometimes humiliated her, she reacted gratifyingly by yelling and running around, not by folding up in a corner and weeping or quitting the job, and if she took shots back at him, it was nothing he couldn’t handle, and it kept him on his toes. And she not only wore his costume designs with no more than the odd complaint, she actually quite enjoyed some of the sexy ones, and carried them off with style.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Why is he still in the dumb costume? What exactly is the joke that's supposed to be? Do the creatives just like drawing men getting gender-bent or wearing women's clothes?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Because he hasn’t changed yet; It’s a deviation from the social norm, and hence inherently funny; Probably yes.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.