Manga, Manga & More Manga

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Re: Manga, Manga & More Manga

Post by Kamino Neko »

The manga moves a lot faster than the anime (at least getting it all at once, rather than reading it in its original serialized run) - a lot of the issues the anime had (the long-ass powerup sequences, some arcs) were a result of trying to avoid getting ahead of the manga. (Happens a lot with long anime series adapted from still ongoing manga - at least Shonen Jump is a weekly magazine, not monthly...the anime would likely have been unbearable if it had had to try to not overtake something coming out only once a month!)
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist and Fruits Basket ran into that problem. They caught up with the manga and had to diverge from its original plot. Ouran did that, too, though I think Ouran and Fruits Basket decided to just be a one season series. All three ran in monthly magazines.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

FMA handled the gecko ending quite well. I generally like the original anime better than the manga. (Not that I've finished the latter, nor seen the new anime...both of which I intend to, eventually, but haven't gotten around to.)
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

The only thing that I found wrong with the original anime were the characters that didn't get introduced. Olivia, for one. Greedling for another. I never finished it either but it was... pretty awesome, the part where I stopped.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

FMA: Brotherhood follows the manga storyline way more closely than the original. Which is why I have been avoiding finishing it, I don't want to a spoiler for the manga.

And one hundred and change is pretty cheap for the full DBZ manga series. I mean were talking twenty-six volumes and VIZ has jumped the price of their stock about two bucks in the last couple years, so looking at around 260 dollars, full price.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Beelzebozo

Post by Beelzebozo »

I like Mysterious Girlfriend X. Is a very funny Echi has some very absurd situations, but I think it's worth the reading.
Berserk on the other hand is violent, the history (in my opinion) is solid but his creator Kentaro Miura takes a long time to publish the mangas, sometimes up to 4 months...
"Today, a young man on LSD realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather..." Willian Melvin "Bill" Hicks.

Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus
Purveyor of Puggles

Post by Sideb(.)(.)bPlatypus »

yiraheerai wrote:...So my local bookstore has the entire collection of DBZ manga available for a hundred and something bucks.

Did... Did anyone actually read the manga? Catch bits of it in Shounen Jump? I'm wondering what the crack factor is compared to the production that was the anime.

I started it on.....some site, I forget the name, and then I was like good GOD this is long :)) I liked it well enough, it was just too overwhelming :p I used to watch the anime with my ex boyfriend some years ago and I somewhat prefer that.

I'm a big Rumiko Takahashi fan, just started reading her new series Rinne :D
R.I.P. Don Alexander/Dr. David "Alex" Alexander Kann, 2/15/77-3/10/23 :( I'll never forget you or all the good times we had.

"Look up. The stars are shining for you."

Owner and Manager of McLovecraft's; Zany Genius Inventor of Ichory Delights

<3 PRIDE IN THY PUGGLES! <3

me: I remember biting Teach in the ass...
DA: We remember the REALLY important things.

Became Mrs. SP on 10/16/10 <3 :D

Now with mini Puggles! (as in babies) I have two boys, ages 7 and 4 :)

Java
Glazed and Confused

Post by Java »

just thought I'd mention that mangafox.com also still works, for all you scanlation fiends out there.

I haven't read any in a long time, but I have to say one of my favorites that I had read was Red River/Anatolia Story. Loved how well the main character was expertly weaved into history and LOVED LOVED LOVED the hittite pottery that you could sometimes see in the background.

Yes. I'm a pottery nerd.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

brnleague99 wrote:Whilst perusing the forum I noticed something that both disturbed and annoyed me. While there's a great anime thread, there's no thread whatsoever about Manga.
Ah, a manga thread, I'll just merge this into the anime fan, after all, it's all the same stuff...

:P

Jess kiddin', carry on.

The BFF of one of my best friends (and him too) are manga fans a bit... My friend used to buy stuff for his friend here because it seems the other guy could not get it in his town. That way, I also got to read some stuff.

I've read all of Dr. Slump (hilariously funny), Akira, the first six volumes or so of Neon Genesis Evangelion (gaahhh, they were slow in writing/publishing that), and the classical Ghost in the Shell. As you can see, quite the SF fan here. :P

But all of this is like, six, seven years ago, not read any since.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Java
Glazed and Confused

Post by Java »

You know what i'd really like is some really good josei manga. Any titles I can look into?

xxcthuluxx

Post by xxcthuluxx »

Here's the list that I have in my bookmarks folder right now:

Berserk
Arago
Beelzebub
Bleach (liked it in the beginning, hated a lot of the middle stuff, but it's getting exciting again!)
Bakuman
Burning Hell
Buster Keel
D.Gray Man
Detroit Metal City
Defense Devil
Fairy Tail
Reborn
Kinniku Man
Medaka Box
Naruto (needs to end!!!)
One Piece (100% favorite!)
Replica
Toriko
Vagabond
Blade of the Immortal
Wolf Guy, Wolfen Crest
Ikigami
Zetman
Cage of Eden
Jackals
Kiben Gakuha Yotsuya-Senpai no Kaidan
Metallica Metalluca
Get Backers
Mushibugyo
Shamo
Astro Boy
Black Jack
Pluto
Dororo
Soul Eater

I'm sure there are a ton more, but I need to organize my bookmarks menu before I find them all. :-bd
http://chewbaccastomper.deviantart.com/ <-- my artwork (I am definitely taking commissions right now. Hit me up! My prices are pretty darn reasonable.)

Miss Vavavavoom
Location: Oz, living in the Emerald City with the Scarecrow as my sugar daddy

Post by Miss Vavavavoom »

I want to promote this: Image

Moto Haigo is brillant. Her art is somewhat simple but it's beautiful and moving. Her stories are chilling, inspiring and even some of them are sweet. I got this from the library and now I really want to own it. It's a great book filled with great stories and an interview with the author that's at the end.
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
Hit me with your sweet love, steal me with a kiss
I'm Miss Sugar Pink
Liquor, liqour lips
I'm gonna be your bubblegum bitch

Resident burlesque queen and sex kitten.
Looking for an artist for my comic! Please message me if you are interested

Some guy

Post by Some guy »

There is an interesting-looking manga called Psyren in SJ...

But yeah, One piece is pretty much my favourite.
I know things. It's the only thing I know how to do.

You should fear me. Why do you not fear me?

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Seven Seas is going to restart / continue Gunslinger Girl! *does happy dance*
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

For those of you who gave up on Naruto, I'm going to give you a look at what's up ahead:

Ino-Shika-Chou fighting against resurrected (aka zombie) Azuma. They're looking entirely badass, to be perfectly honest.