D&D anyone? (:

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Pneumonica

Re: D&D anyone? (:

Post by Pneumonica »

Incidentally, although slighly off-topic, I would point out that Twilight: 2013 is out. For those of you who didn't ever get to play or see Twilight: 2000, let me just say it's sexy (provided you're a fan of war and intra-apocalypse stories). The new edition uses a revised rules set but it retains a few of the old-standby traits that people expect from T2K (among them, the Coolness Under Fire stat, although it does not behave the same way).

The only major fault is a few historical fumbles in the lead-up to the Last Year. For instance - Taiwan fell how fast? The US government hesitated in the face of a unilateral nuclear weapon strike on Florida? Hur?

Barring these, the overall game is really effective, and very much in keeping with the old T2K, with the new additions of multi-front and multi-faction global warfare (it isn't just NATO vs. the Eastern Bloc).

Anyways, that is all. :)
Further affiant sayeth not.

NobodySpecial

Post by NobodySpecial »

Well, I haven't played since First Edition due to a geek shortage in my area....

My DM's campaign was a bit wierd. We had everything from a 7th Level fighter on down to 1st level whatevers (Typical nights saw from 8 to as many as 20 players). First levels were used mostly to check rooms. "You go in there, see what's in there, come out and tell us!" Or don't, heheh.

Best of all was the DM, who was certifiable and a lovely lady. We came at one point across a fighter called Rustum, who had a device that cast Teleport on vocal command. So you'd see this buff fighter pull out his box, hold it up and pronounce in the mightiest of tones the magic words to activate it...

"Calgon, take me away!".

Oh, said 7th level fighter? He...um, lost an eye to an alley cat in one dungeon and was forever known as the Lord of Meow.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll

"If love is the answer, you're home."

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

I was wondering if theres anywhere or anyone where i could improve my knowledge on D&D, unfortunately while i am interested, practice is the best way to learn and ive found no one here who plays D&D
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

Feel free to ask away, Tenjen... can pm or post, no matter, I'll answer what I can, I've been playing a long time.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Anyone know where I can steal a 4th edition .dpf file yet? :D

MerchManDan
Nerd-At-Large (Mostly Harmless)

Post by MerchManDan »

Half-damage from a NUKE??! :)) "CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY!!!" =)) Oh man, these stories are AWESOME!!! :ymapplause:
Operator of The Penultimate Darkness Pit: Gift Store of the Cavey Cave of Elderly Elders
Exclusive and Singular Seller of The OmniFork!
Fen wrote:Because sometimes one cult is not enough.
Another helpful emoticon: Image Courtesy of yiraheerai

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

MerchManDan wrote:Half-damage from a NUKE??! :)) "CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY!!!" =)) Oh man, these stories are AWESOME!!! :ymapplause:
Got some of your own??

I will assuredly be posting more, when I find the time.

But that Max Damage story is totally rad, I agree.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Pneumonica wrote:Incidentally, although slighly off-topic, I would point out that Twilight: 2013 is out. For those of you who didn't ever get to play or see Twilight: 2000, let me just say it's sexy (provided you're a fan of war and intra-apocalypse stories). The new edition uses a revised rules set but it retains a few of the old-standby traits that people expect from T2K (among them, the Coolness Under Fire stat, although it does not behave the same way).

The only major fault is a few historical fumbles in the lead-up to the Last Year. For instance - Taiwan fell how fast? The US government hesitated in the face of a unilateral nuclear weapon strike on Florida? Hur?

Barring these, the overall game is really effective, and very much in keeping with the old T2K, with the new additions of multi-front and multi-faction global warfare (it isn't just NATO vs. the Eastern Bloc).

Anyways, that is all. :)

Yay! I never got to play Twiglight: 2000 much but that which I did I enjoyed. I will have to take a look at this.
Last edited by Azrael on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

When I was in a games club I went to a bunch of gaming conventions, and I played some variation of Max Damage in every convention. Usually he was a wizard of some sort, and that always involved basically fireballing everything. I mean EVERYTHING.
Moving on to new lurking grounds. Have fun, folks.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

I was chatting to the dude I buy my games off the other day...

Summon Iceberg.

Large group of pc's versus some kind of mage (I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been). Everyone in the center gets no save. People in the next 20ft circle get save for 1/2 damage. Next group get save to escape. If you are in the middle 2 circles, you are surrounded by packed, crushed ice. See rules for drowning.

PC's get out eventually, one or two are unconscious, and stumblecrawl to the top of the iceberg, breathing heavily.

Summon Iceberg.

ohgoddammit!

repeat.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

D&D story time.

The group was asked to get a piece from a rather large and nasty hydra. These things are pretty hard to kill. I think we were around level seven. So we approach the cave, my orc barbarian leading the way. Out comes the hydra, so it's time to roll initiative for what we expect will be one heck of a battle. Drow archer guy rolls highest, goes first, rolls three 20s in a row. Instant uber-kill.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Scaramouche wrote:D&D story time.

The group was asked to get a piece from a rather large and nasty hydra. These things are pretty hard to kill. I think we were around level seven. So we approach the cave, my orc barbarian leading the way. Out comes the hydra, so it's time to roll initiative for what we expect will be one heck of a battle. Drow archer guy rolls highest, goes first, rolls three 20s in a row. Instant uber-kill.
=))

Party of three approaches mighty three headed dragon. Mage (me) Elf and Mercenary. How to kill the beast? Chop off all heads almost simultaneously, before they grow back. Otherwise, it's on hell of a beatdown against strength, firebreath, magic...

The Mercenary draws his great curved battle sword, and, death-defying, runs toward the dragon.
The Elf takes his special bow, which is Drazaslan, the Dragonslayer, and fires off his first arrow. The impact is so hard it nearly severs a neck.
The Mercenary has covered some distance.
The Mage shifts elements, turns a fireball into a waterball and blasts off two of the dragon's heads, as the first one was already flopping quite loose.
The Mercenary is still running toward it.
The Elf nocks his second arrow, draws - and rolls a 1!!! (This is like a 20 in D&D) The Dragon's third head snaps off.
The Mercenary arrives at the Dragon, only to see it drop dead at his feet.

The Mercenary is pissed. =))

But we are nice guys, and share the loot.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

Same game as mentioned before.

We find a Bag Of Holding. Only it's not a real one. This was made by some greedy mage. Stuff goes in, and is deposited at the mage's base. We figured it out pretty quick.

So we enter the hydra's cave and shovel in about five tons of hydra poo. After that we just used it for several game sessions as a garbage disposal. When we got to the huge lake we had to sail across, my orc went to the fish market and threw in buckets of the guts and stuff they pull out of the fish. Then we towed the bag behind the ship by a rope.

When we got to the capital city across the other side of the lake, we learned that some mysterious power had attacked the mage's guild, flooding it completely from the top floor... Naturally we remained silent, knew nothing about it, and asked no more questions.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Gods that was epically funny Scaramouche :)) =))

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Scaramouche wrote:Same game as mentioned before.

We find a Bag Of Holding. Only it's not a real one. This was made by some greedy mage. Stuff goes in, and is deposited at the mage's base. We figured it out pretty quick.

So we enter the hydra's cave and shovel in about five tons of hydra poo. After that we just used it for several game sessions as a garbage disposal. When we got to the huge lake we had to sail across, my orc went to the fish market and threw in buckets of the guts and stuff they pull out of the fish. Then we towed the bag behind the ship by a rope.

When we got to the capital city across the other side of the lake, we learned that some mysterious power had attacked the mage's guild, flooding it completely from the top floor... Naturally we remained silent, knew nothing about it, and asked no more questions.
"Want an orange?"
ImageImage