The Travelling Forumite

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Re: The Travelling Forumite

Post by Fen »

Quick question.
Do you think i can board the plane with 2 bags? one's for the laptop&books, the other for the camera. Technically, I can have both the laptop, the books and the camera and a bag with me, but I don't know if it's okay with 2 bags.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

thaldin

Post by thaldin »

As of now, you are allowed one carry one and one overhead...

I take my carry on as my backpack... it has my laptop, etc...

then my overhead storage is normally an overnight bag with clothes tossed in the compartment above.

JVDifferent
Venus Dicktrap

Post by JVDifferent »

Fen wrote:Quick question.
Do you think i can board the plane with 2 bags? one's for the laptop&books, the other for the camera. Technically, I can have both the laptop, the books and the camera and a bag with me, but I don't know if it's okay with 2 bags.
I managed to get away with one "laptop" bag and a backpack during my recent Russia/Italy/Greece adventure. My "laptop" bag was just a huge tote bag like number that had all my fragile souvenirs, whilst the laptop actually lived in my backpack. No one complained or even batted an eyelid. I flew Qantas, Scandinavian Airline System (SAS), Aeroflop (uh, I mean Aeroflot), British Airways, and Aegean Airways. I think I may have also flown Air Italy and Lufthansa. I've also flown Fin Air and Japan Airlines (JAL) similarly loaded, but that was about five years ago now.

Both bags were both bursting at the seams by the last few flights, but I was able to fit one under my feet and the other in the overhead locker. No problems unless you're sitting in front of the emergency exit hatch-thingers.
Resplendent King of Lizards and Darkness
Resident Firestarter, Wielder of the Falcon Punch
SKULLS SKULLS SKULLS
Proudly signature-less since 1986. I mean... Fuck.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Berlin is so cool! And their German accent is so userfriendly! Berlin rocks!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, this means that except for the RL friend pairs (like CS and JaS, Asaryu and JVD), you probably recently came closest to another forumite - me.

Did your train go through Jena? If so, it was just a few kilometers... :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Added my locale in.
If anyone else is familiar with flight routes, I am directly underneath one of the major paths that almost all airlines take when flying US/CAN to Europe.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

no train, only stayed in berlin, had to dump hamburg.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Awww.

That's sad. :(
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

I would just like to say that Amsterdam is the shittiest city. Ever.
Also, missing my flight was a bad, bad ideea.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

And now I am back home!
Home is great! i love home!!!

I flew in the samllest airplane ever. I could almost touch the ceiling(i'm 1.7m) and could barely hold 4 chairs on each row. Tiny, tiny, airplane! it was adorably scary.

Also, absolutely no airline had trouble with my one laptop bag+one camera bag. woo!

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Glad to see you survived Amsterdam! I dont think any airline now (Except Air Canada) counts a laptop bag as a carryon. I see some people with full sized luggage ( 8 x 12 x20 inches ) that gets stowed in the overhead compartments.

ps. I love small planes. They're the only ones I am legal to fly right now :)
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Post by Nibler »

I flew in a tiny plane when I went home from brussels, I could easily touch the ceiling, and im 1.75m, and the fact that I had talked to my mom the same day who said there where really strong winds around south Sweden/Denmark(the plane landed in Copenhagen.)
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Asaryu
Tentacoo Goddess

Post by Asaryu »

Of all the European cities, Amsterdam is not the one I expected to be dull.

I am going to have to start researching travel. Last time I went overseas, I got George to do everything while I studied.
Tentacoo-Goddess of the Bubblibaff, Gazer of the Southern Heavens and Mistress of Morals. She/Them. Judging you.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

The problem with amsterdam is the people. They're so used to tourists coming and going they just don't bother anymore. Since I'm a lone traveler, meeting people and finding someone to talk to is the most important part of a city.
Maybe it was me, but amsterdam has failed me=(.
I flew in a tiny plane when I went home from brussels, I could easily touch the ceiling, and im 1.75m, and the fact that I had talked to my mom the same day who said there where really strong winds around south Sweden/Denmark(the plane landed in Copenhagen.)
I was flying among the Alps. And the plane wasn't going too high. I kept thinking we're gonna crash into a high peak :)). (the fog didn't help).

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

Fen, if you show up here (Thessaloniki aka Salonika aka Solun) we'll show you around, no failing our tourists and guests, no siree
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.