Isn't the weather just lovely?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Isn't the weather just lovely?

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, not quite sure my skin felt like buring, but we've had some days in Granada where it was beyond 40° and when the wind blew, it felt like someone was holding a hair dryer in front of your face...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I can't say I have, but I've been through winds which were strong enough to take off rooves and snap power poles in half. I've also been through three tropical storms and a hurricane over my lifetime. Luckily, Hurricane Tammy had barely formed and came in at an odd angle so it didn't have a huge storm surge, but it knocked out power to the city of Brunswick, GA and the rain was intense. It wasn't quite as bad as Irene, which flooded Vermont thanks to the way the mountains tend to dry out clouds.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

My temperature sense is ... not normal, so, I mean, I remember summer vacations in a desert town, and know how it feels to open an extremely warm oven, but to me that temporary sense of hot is nice, so... not the same as what you would be describing.

Kinda getting tired of the almost 100 degree F days with nearly 100% humidity around here. Though today we were supposed to be suffering from a tropical storm, which most of the people in my department teleworked to avoid. It ended up with the same kind of huge downpours interspersed with sun we've been getting for a couple weeks. I mean literally, a few days it rained hard. then it still felt like it was 100% humidity with my vehicle reading 90s or higher and seeing signs warning of "black flag", which somehow I vaguely remember being warnings for extreme heat, probably meaning the "feels like" temperature being over 120.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
ADD is a double edged sword. Also the handle is a blade.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

On a different note. . .it's cold outside.

Today is the first of September, and oddly enough, we dipped below 40 for a low last night. I'm starting to feel like this year decided to skip summer here in New England and skip straight to Autumn.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

So, last night I saw a flash of lightning, immediately followed by clap of thunder, and accompanied by a smaller static discharge sound in the room. So, yeah, I took that as a hint to shut off the computer and unplug it and head to bed, where I was probably more likely to be struck by lightning, but it's bed.

That one's easy: it's because it sounds disgusting. Society's got nothing to do with that. ~Gotoh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

That's way too close of comfort. :( I had a friend in Texas who had all her electronics fried because a lightning bolt hit their electric pole. I think it was their electric pole. Scary stuff, lightning.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Haha, we had ONE lightning bolt and pretty loud thunderclap today. Not quite out of the blue, but it wasn't even raining. My mom panicked and went and turned off her computer. Totally unnecessary in this case, though.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Azrael wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:11 am
Hey, DnE! Batten down the hatches, man.
Seriously, though, this one is looking really bad. :-s
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I talked to him and it looks like he might not get hit with the worst of it? Last I heard, the projection of the storm was more toward the eastern part of Florida and up into South Carolina. So there will be heavy storming but not the actual hurricane stuff. That's been a few days, though.

I can't remember if mik lives in the path too.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Mik lives at the end of the path, so will probably be getting at worst tropical storm winds. My great aunt lives on the Gulf side of the storm and may have to evacuate to my sister's house. That's okay, just about all of us along the east coast are in the path or Irma and Jose.

Incidentally, Mara Lago, Trump's favorite residence, is on the barrier island about to get hit by Cat 4/5 winds and storm surge.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

The newest tracks seem to place Irma further west, though I'm not sure what that means for Miami since it was stated that the strongest winds are in the north, northeast part of the storm. On the other hand, the eye now is projected to go right over the Gulf coast of Florida, i.e., Beast Boy Country. :-s
ImageImage

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Well damn :\

mikbuster

Post by mikbuster »

Yeah, the last email I got about the path has the storm almost entirely missing this area, instead driving through Florida and Georgia/South Carolina.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Yeah, my great-aunt lives in the path of this thing. Luckily, she's well back from the coast and pretty safe, but Miami and the east coast are going to get hit hard no matter where Irma goes, and it's probably going to be a Cat 5 when it hits.

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

Hey, they are saying at 1100 pm EST, that Tampa Bay and here in Central Florida (Kissimmee) we are looking at a cat three storm. I am listing to News 96.5 in Orlando, they are 24 coverage and doing a pretty good job on it if you are interested. Wish us luck, this storm is so big no one in Florida will get away without being effected.
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.