Achievements

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: Achievements

Post by Tenjen »

boinc is the initiative to contribute idle computer processing resources for scientific and other related efforts, from anywhere on the planet.

i remember cause it reminds me of Bionic :3

OH AND I GOT MY INTERNETS WORKING MUH HUH FUH HURS!

*kicks you all in the CROTCH*
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Tenjen wrote:*licks you all in the CROTCH*
...is probably more like it. :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

It amused us that there are stats for boincing. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

VICTORY!!!! \o/

Dad's given me permission to adopt Big Fat Kitty. Mom's just been going "...sure," about it but uuhhh.

ANYWAY. I'm taking my dog with me to the shelter tomorrow and see how they get along. Probably going to scare the crap out of the poor cat but he's gotta know who he's coming home with. He's declawed which is both a bonus and a worry. Bonus because the only way out is for him to climb the fence and he can't do that with his weight + no claws. A worry because he has no defense against my dog if he needs it. :\ Plus vet bills. He's... a big kitty. I would not be surprised if he had troubles.

But this is part of why I want him. No one else is going to adopt him because of all those things. SO I WILL. \:d/
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

*yira gets +100 awesomesauce points* :x :x :x

We await kitteh picks!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i saved a relationship!

i haz a proud :3

no details. Stuff spoken in confidance so other than mentioning saving, nothing to be said.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
ImageImage

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

I'm a millionaire!!! :D

Well, at least in BOINC.

Today, basically simultaneously, I surpassed 1,000,000 both in Einstein@home and AQUA@home. I'm rapidly closing in on 7,000,000 in Collatz Conjecture, and in the next few days will hit 10,000,000 grand total!!! :-bd
ImageImage

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

What is BOINC, Don? :-\

i've seen you've mentioned einstein@home etc.. in other posts but what exactly is it?
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

I could say I'm especially good at surviving volcanic eruptions. So far I've been through Hekla'91, Grímsvötn at Gjálp'96, Grímsvötn'98, Hekla'00, Grímsvötn'04, Eyjafjöll'10 and Grímsvötn'11. Now, I'm waiting for Hekla and Katla to erupt, as their time has come.
The iceman cometh

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

BOINC stands for Berkeley Open Infrastructure Networking Computers , a cloud based system. Units of work are sent out to individual computers, and the results sent back to the main ones. There are different projects involved, the main one being the Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence (S.E.T.I). Others include malaria research, prime number crunching, asteroid plot prediction paths...

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Cloud-based? I do not think that moniker actually applies here, since it's not home users employing the crunching power and drive space of large server farms, but scientific projects employing the crunching power and drive space of the home users. This is called a distributed computing project.

The original idea, as Rad has pointed out, was SETI@home, which started off as a screensaver application which analysed radio telescope data for anomolous signals which might be of extraterrestial origin. Such a program downloads workunits (WUs) from a server on the net, and "crunches" these using the computer's spare processing power.

I think a few other standalone projects (Prime Grid?) existed before a "shell" program was made, and this is BOINC. You download a single program (from the adress Rad gave), and then you can choose from several dozen scientific applications. There's still SETI, which remains the largest community within BOINC. Einstein searches for gravitational waves and pulsars (has found several of the latter, none of the former). AQUA is a quite new project which simulates quantum computer algorithms and is able to support multicore computers. Collatz Conjecture is a very popular (at least from the numbers of WUs crunched) application which tests the eponymous Collatz Conjecture (look for it on Wikipedia, it's an as-yet unproved mathematical theorem). CC supports, as one of only a few applications, ATI GPUs with single precision - other apps like Milkyway need Nvidia GPUs. Both on my laptop and my mom's new comp at home, we only have ATI GPUs, so I run CC because there's basically nothing else. But GPUs are incredibly fast processors, and therefore you rapidly accumulate huge credits.

We don't get payed for this, just the opposite, we actually increase our electricity bills and, in the long-term, damage the CPUs by having them run at 100% pretty much all the time. and all we get for it is credits. It's an idealistic thing, I guess. Though of course the more bio-oriented programs can become very important if they discover some breakthrough.
ImageImage

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Wow Alex, ten million BOINCs? And here you always say you're inexperienced. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Iceman
Location: I come from the land of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

Post by Iceman »

I cycled to work today and back home. Intogether some 27km, and it only took 1:50 hours put together.
Proud--->
The iceman cometh

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Adding someone who isn't my mom to the list of people in the car on a trip. Not going to sleep as a defense mechanism when the anxiety kicked in.

TODAY I AM AN ANXIETY-KICKING CHAMPION!! \o/!!!
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins