2014-10-21 Smash of love

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 2014-10-21 Smash of love

Post by Don Alexander »

Okay, I had to go look those up. Hilariously bad! "Outsourced Russian animation!" :))

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, especially "Zelda's Adventure" is very rare and usually goes for over 100 bucks, so you might need to revise your theory.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think, from what I've seen, that whether something is worth big money just because it's rare depends how big and serious the collector market is. If they're fanatical and have a lot of competition, they'll pay big money for stuff just because it's rare, even if it's crap; more casual collectors tend to want good stuff.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Don Alexander wrote:Okay, I had to go look those up. Hilariously bad! "Outsourced Russian animation!" :))

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, especially "Zelda's Adventure" is very rare and usually goes for over 100 bucks, so you might need to revise your theory.
If it does, it's news to me. From what I've seen in most mentions of it, fans of the series snark about 'em and take solace in knowing they're not canon.

But if you wanna talk rare games that'll cost you, try 'Xenoblade'. It's a much sought after rpg that had a limited release in NA and was only sold through Gamestop and Nintendo's distribution center (i.e. mail order). I've seen copies go for as much as $200+ used. :|

Luckily, I bought it when it was first released, for only $59.99. I've kept it in mint condition and could easily sell it for twice what I paid for it, but I'm gonna hang onto to it.

Templar Woolf

Post by Templar Woolf »

But if you wanna talk rare games that'll cost you, try Xenoblade. It's a much sought after rpg that had a limited release in NA and was only sold through Gamestop and Nintendo's distribution center (i.e. mail order). I've seen copies go for as much as $200+
Luckily, I bought it when it was first released, for only $59.99. I've kept it in mint condition and could easily sell it for twice what I paid for it, but I'm gonna hang onto to it.
I picked up my copy for £20 pre-owned, new are £40+
The really rare ones in the UK are "The Last Story" and the "Metroid Trilogy" at £70+ and £200+ respectively.
I paid £20 for my copy of MT, just after it was released.
Look for the rainbow.
Don't just stare at the rain.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Zippy wrote:(Also, wasn't the boob-tape top meant to be new for Disembowellia?)
Nope, boob-tape top was always the idea behind Carmen's look (when first worn, Sandra didn't really recognize it cos she didn't see it in it's entirety yet, it's when she got to the mirror and saw the whole thing for herself that the costume reminded her of Carmen Chamelia's game and turns out, it is), it's just the old games have simple graphics that it doesn't look as sexy as it is depicted now with new more realistic graphics.

Of course, in the games, the costume aren't really boob-taped up but used a suction-based costume system (or to be more realistic, game artsits just drew something to cover up the boobs back then) but in the real world (sort of, the MA3-verse real world anyway) it has to be taped with double-sided tape so that it would stay on.

And no, I didn't make this stuff up on the spot, this is something I thought of when I first designed the Carmen Chamelia outfit.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/371158176570?lpid=82

http://deusexmachina.es/wp-content/uplo ... iBoxes.jpg

the Zelda adventures plus "7 other games" of CD-i would go around 560 dollars, Zelda Adventures plus Link go for 580, so I am guessing that if someone has all 3, might go for somewhere in the range of 700/900

-------------------------

in amazons

Wand of gameleon goes for 170 new, 70 used

link goes for 425 new, 170 used

Zelda's adventure is available in ebay, and usually 400 or more, so if someone has all 3 in mint or new condition, it could go as high as 1200, and all 3 used should get at least 450

the games DURING TIME of release (93-95) had good reviews, but most gamers did not get them until early 2000, thus 95 graphics vs 2002 graphics.......................... that is why most people comparing those with the newer versions of Zelda, were disappointed

at the time of release, everyone raved about Excitebike but if someone from 3rd grade 2014 was given that game and also this one...........http://www.pinkbike.com/news/kickstarte ... -2014.html, they would say that excitebike is trash (but collectors would buy a mint excitebike game for 800+)
ImageImage

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

wiseguy wrote:Wand of gameleon goes for 170 new, 70 used

link goes for 425 new, 170 used

Zelda's adventure is available in ebay, and usually 400 or more, so if someone has all 3 in mint or new condition, it could go as high as 1200, and all 3 used should get at least 450
Hn. I stand corrected. Apparently, there really are people who'd pay big money for... those.

Though the going price for a new copy of 'Xenoblade' ranges from $75.99, to as much as $499.99. Which matches the combined price of all three CD-i games used.
wiseguy wrote:the games DURING TIME of release (93-95) had good reviews, but most gamers did not get them until early 2000, thus 95 graphics vs 2002 graphics.......................... that is why most people comparing those with the newer versions of Zelda, were disappointed.
It wasn't just the graphics that were bad, so was the voice acting and the gameplay.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

as I posted, reviewers of the games at time of release gave it a fairly good review(but not as good as the original Zelda game), but there was not much sales(probably not much sales of CD-i as I did not even know that it existed until today, just remember overhearing that Phillips might start a new game console but nothing after that)............. when people in the 2000s got Zelda crazy, and went looking for past Zelda games, is when the bad opinions of the game went viral
ImageImage

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@wiseguy: Yeah, I know you said "at that time". But you also said:
wiseguy wrote:thus 95 graphics vs 2002 graphics..................that is why most people comparing those with the newer versions of Zelda, were disappointed.
Which is why I said that wasn't the only reason.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

but was most probably the main reason, at least that is what was posted in all 10 sites I visited

and usually "voice acting" going bad is because of coordination of voice with illustration, not the voice itself

can't find it, but they actually made a "animated talking cars" movie released same time on DVD as "Cars" movie, the voice acting and illustrations made "chug chuginton" look superb(and chuck chuggiton is basically a cheaper illustration version of Thomas the train but has superior writing elements than Thomas)

BTW

to rest things, and back Eisu

the pillow Carmen HAS to be the older version, as it has no freckles
ImageImage

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote: Lavali is an introvert who is evidently forced to play assertive Big Sis to Alex some of the time. I'm sure that she loves him like a sister should and will put up with a lot, but I imagine she finds this hard work; she certainly looks a bit irate here.
I'm wondering if at least part of the reason for her ire is seeing her brother basically drooling over someone she knows and likes. In other words, Lavali may be pissed because she sees Alex's massive crush as objectifying Sandra, a woman she probably now considers a friend.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mmmm... Maybe. Depends a lot on the specifics of her big-sister psychology, but having a crush on someone doesn't automatically objectify them, and Lavali (or many other big sisters) could in principle be more amused than annoyed to see a kid brother fancying a somewhat older friend. ("She's out of your league, kid.") However, seeing her little brother drooling over a body-pillow representation of a real woman, especially but not solely someone Lavali knows personally and likes, could squick her out a bit.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

I do have a question because it's kinda bugging me: Is the "tmp tmp tmp tmp" sound effect in the third panel Lavali walking up or is she just tapping her foot impatiently?

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

by body position. most probably tapping foot
ImageImage

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

If she were tapping her foot next to the bed, wouldn't her hands be on her hips then? :-\

It looks more she's walking over to him, then in the next panel, she flips him outta bed.