Boogiepop continuing?

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

We're releasing Boogiepop in this order to ensure we can have a successful relaunch. The first release did not perform at the level we were hoping, and we are taking a huge risk even trying to give it a second chance. Not supporting these new books as they come out will only mean that we'll not be able to bring over any future Boogiepop novels.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Lafiel wrote:I do have a question for the company reps. Are you going to make any changes to the text?
The rereleases of the first 3 novels will be updated versions, so the text will be tweaked for a smoother reading experience.

As for that difference between the manga and the novel that you pointed out... Yes, Andrew did translate both versions, but the manga had a rewriter go through the manga and make the text work better for a manga reading experience. We also wanted to make sure that if someone were to read both the novels and the manga, that they wouldn't be bored by reading the same exact thing over again.

doceirias

Post by doceirias »

Lafiel wrote:Also, I don't really know if you can say that Kadono intended for us to read them in that order. A lot of authors write series out of order, and they all differ on whether they prefer the readers to read them in Chronological or Publishing order.
Kadano has said in many interviews that he believes the books are all stand alone and can be read in any order.

As far as differences between the manga and the novel, there were a number of occasions where Ogata's interpretation of a scene was very different from my own and I had to adjust the dialogue. This was a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I believe that line seemed like a very quiet moment in the novel, something that just slipped out...but was a full page shot in the manga.

Or actually, searching unsuccessfully for the line, I did find a very awkward version of it near the very end of the book. A bit of clunky translation that definitely shows my inexperience at the time; hopefully I've gotten better at dealing at this particular feature of the Japanese language. Basically, the Japanese language allows you to stick a ridiculous amount of information into a sentence and making it all modify one word. There was this whole "boy who had broken my heart" clause that didn't really fit into the sentence in English. It looks like I entirely failed to find a solution for it and just jammed it in awkwardly. I really should have broken it up into two sentences or used some dashes.
Andrew Cunningham,
Translator for Faust, Goth, The Case of the Dragon Slayer, Boogiepop, Missing, Gosick, the xxxHolic and Death Note novels, and Parasyte.
Writer for [url]http://easternstandard.pbwiki.com/[/url]

doceirias

Post by doceirias »

Lafiel wrote:(You're working on Vamp! too, aren't you? I'd like to think so, anyway.)
I did not do Vamp!, sorry.

Upcoming/ongoing and announced books that I did translate:
Death Note: Another Note
xxxholic: Another Holic
Missing
Gosick
Parasyte
Record of a Fallen Vampire
Chibi Vampire novels
and I did a bunch of stuff for Faust, a literary anthology Del Rey will have out this summer, which has stories by a bunch of the best writers out there.

I sort of missed the first wave of Seven Seas light novels by doing all of that, but if the line is a success, I'm sure I'll be working for them again someday. I'm planning on doing this for the foreseeable future.
Andrew Cunningham,
Translator for Faust, Goth, The Case of the Dragon Slayer, Boogiepop, Missing, Gosick, the xxxHolic and Death Note novels, and Parasyte.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Yes, Andrew translated "Boogiepop at Dawn." The other 2 Boogiepop novels will be translated a bit later into 2008, and we don't want to get too far ahead (these are expensive books to translate, after all).

doceirias

Post by doceirias »

I can't really answer questions on the production end of things. Faust in Japan is square bound and novel sized; no slip cover.
I'm pretty sure Del Rey plans to do more than one.
Andrew Cunningham,

doceirias

Post by doceirias »

Yeah, I left it off the earlier list because I figured it was a given.
Andrew Cunningham,