A page you simply -must- see!

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: A page you simply -must- see!

Post by Tenjen »

http://phoboslab.org/ztype/

type shooter! i made it to 20 but my keyboard glitched and stopped responding :|
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I normally keep social justice posts from tumblr off my tumblr and far away from here but this is.. well, this basically explains why girls get awkward around guys and compliments.

It's REALLY easy to see this as "all men are evil," but it's really more of a case of "a select few are ruining it for everyone else." Someone tries to board a plane with a bomb in their shoe? Everyone has to take their shoes off for inspection now. The shootings that have happened this year and the talk about gun control? Ruins it for the people who fucking have control. The "Nice Guy" image? Ruined by dudes who probably are nice guys most the time, but still expect women to subject to them. "I was nice, so now I get in your pants."

I don't know how many times I wanted to go for a walk alone- just around the block- and Dad would tell me no. "We're in an isolated area near a highway. Anyone could come up and kidnap you off the street." I wasn't even 12 and he was telling me this.

He saw me walking down at the park one day alone around noon while I was in college, taking a break between classes- broad daylight with people milling around. He told me I need to be careful. He gave me pepper spray.

And as pissed off as I was about him being overprotective, pissed off over the fact that because I was a woman, (and especially as a very small, disabled woman) I couldn't walk freely anywhere at any time alone without having to look over my shoulder. And then? When it's all said and done at the end of the day? I know that fear is justified. I've had way too many creeps interested in me that take their interest just a bit far. Almost made me leave this forum once.

All it takes is one person. ONE. And the amount of women that get raped are something like, what one in four? I'm sorry to say those fuckers ruin it for a lot of you.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

Yira,
I think it's very important to raise awareness about these things.
I'd like to think though, that your father's fear may not be entirely justified. It would seem to me that safe places and occasions exists - even if there are too few of those.
It might also be helpful to draw the attention of third parties to any instances of inappropriate behaviour - if a forumite creeps you out there is no reason to let him/her continue and leave. It should be the other way round!

Don't get me wrong, I don't presume to know what it feels like to be regarded as prey, I just want to say that you don't have to face this alone! Decent people exist!
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I know they do :) It's why I didn't quit the forum. Plenty of decent people here!

Dad's always been paranoid. I've accepted that from him. Almost everything is a scam or a hoax or something similar. I've been a lucky enough person that I saw a lot of what he said as pure paranoia growing up- almost all of it was stuff that never happened and has yet to happen. Guys being creepy weird around me didn't happen until I hit college age. Like I said before, it's a case where bad people ruin it for the good.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

*bookmarks* I liked that.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

A comic about Thorin, Biblo and parenting children who've lost their parents

No, it's not Thorin/Bilbo, I don't think. Thorin talks about raising Fili and Kili. It shows parallels with Bilbo and Frodo. Well written from someone who doesn't write in English much.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/26/42131403269#

concerning false rape accusation studies. Whats BS and whats truth.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Uhm, wrong link Tenjen... i get redirected to the tumblr sign-up page.

"/login?redirect_to=%2Fdashboard%2F26%2F42131403269"
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

hmm looks like it needs an account then D:
graffitiandrobutissin:

I’ve noticed lately that a lot of MRAs and such are quoting a study done by Prof. Kanin (formerly a prof at Purdue) who found that 40% of rape accusations are false.

I think it’s really important everyone know where these numbers are coming from andwhy they’re straight up BS.

Kanin did one nine-year study in an UNNAMED town (so no way to verify it) in the 80s, with only 109 participants, and forced all of them to take a lie detector test, which we know to be extremely inconsistent and manipulative for victims. Furthermore, any recanting was marked as a “false report” and we know there are any number of reasons that rape victims recant testimonies.

Another study done by the Air Force in the 80s claims that 65% of rape victims are lying. But again, when victims came forward they were immediately told they would have to take a Lie Detector test to prove it, and roughly 65% of them backed off and said the rape hadn’t happened. Again, lie detector tests are extremely manipulative, and there are a million reasons why a victim would not want to undergo that.

This, more comprehensive, recent, and scientifically sound study done by the FBI shows that about 8% of accusations are unfounded. As unfounded does not mean false, it is reasonable to conclude that less than 8% of accusations are false.

The largest study done was done by the British Home Office in 2003, and it found accusations to be about 3%, which is lower than the average of other crimes.

In conclusion the number of false rape accusations is most likely between 2-8%, which puts it no higher than other crimes.

In conclusion of my conclusion, MRAs, please shut up forever.
stunglikehell:

“And notably, people who falsely file claims usually do not name specific individuals, but instead “involve only a vaguely described stranger. These research findings support the theory that people who falsely allege rape do so not out of desire for revenge against a specific person, but because they seek general attention and sympathy.” [Source]

So not only is the number of “false” rape accusations incredibly smaller than 40 percent, but an even smaller number accounts for accusers who specifically named an individual as their rapist. Which makes you wonder about all those dudes online who have a friend whose life was totally ruined by a false rape accusation. If you consider plain statistical probability, it’s much more likely that your friend is a rapist who got away with it than that he was falsely accused of being a rapist.
ImageImageImage

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

What is an "MRA" in this context?
I think outside the tesseract.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

[MostInterestingAstronomerintheWorld]
I normally don't post anything in this thread, but when I do, I always post something that's freaking incredible. B-)
[/MostInterestingAstronomerintheWorld]
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/justinesharrock ... dsheet-app

google has an interesting spreadsheet for lists. check it out.
Last edited by Tenjen on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage