Now Watching....?

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Nibler
Professional Lurker

Re: Now Watching....?

Post by Nibler »

I'm also currently watching season 5 of Dexter, latest season of Sons of Anarchy and first season of Louie
This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Figured I'd share my thoughts on the new season of mlp, since I'm bored and have nothing else to do. Image
What, seriously, work is boring. Anyway...my pony by pony thoughts

Pinkie Pie: Continues to be my favorite, the girl is just too awesome. Adored her actually enjoying the candy flavored weather while everyone else was in near panic trying to deal with it. Culminates in the great line "WAIT, ETERNAL CHAOS COMES WITH CHOCOLATE RAIN GUYS! CHOCOLATE RAIN!"

Wow, that looks bad actually...better put up the spoilers. Ah, better. I took Pinkie's twisting at Discord's hands...claws...digits worse than the others, and not just because she's my favorite. There was something a bit more sinister about him turning laughter against her, probably because I think everyone knows just how crushing it can be to be laughed at. I'm waiting for someone to draw some fan art involving that moment, only with Pinkie's hair going flat. Those in touch with the pony meme base should see how badly that would go for Discord.

Fluttershy: Pretty much freaks out through most of the episode in that cute way she does, so works for me. Her part turns truly epic though when she defeats Discord's mind twisting ways by simply agreeing with him, until he gets annoyed and brainwashes her by raw magical might. Is kind of sick though, to think she not only has such low self esteem, but is perfectly fine with it. Watching her act like a bitch was kind of awesome though, though a bit too brief.

Rarity: Aside from her absurd rainwear get up, not much going on with her in the first 2/3 of the show. Her greedy flipped version however packed a lot of hilarity into just a few scenes. (Poor Twilight, ending up carrying that rock all by herself while Rarity threatens her "I know where you live!")

Applejack: As with Rarity, she didn't really do much for me until she got mind flipped. I find it amusing that even when turned, she's a horrible liar. Pinkie Pie was great grump, Fluttershy was a beautiful bitch, Rarity was good at being greedy, but Applejack still couldn't lie without it being written all over her face.

Rainbow Dash: Of course Dash wasn't about to let some pink upstart of a cloud get the better of her! I loved how indignant she was about it raining off schedule. And even after having her wings magically zapped off, she was ready to throw down with Discord one on one. I'm going to make a wild guess, but I think her taking off at the end is going to come back to bite Discord in the ass. I can see Dash returning with all the secondary and background ponies to stand up to him in a mass display of harmony.

Twilight: "My fail-safe spell...failed!" Welcome to the land of television my dear Twilight, where the fail-safes always fail. Her and Rarity's little panic dance over losing their horns was worth a chuckle, but mostly I felt bad for her, as she collected her mind flipped friends with an ever growing sense of doom (which was not helped by Rarity's "diamond"). As the only one of the main cast not to be twisted, she's highlighted as being the one to have to pull things together in the next episode. Which has been her role in most things after all.

Celestia: Interesting to see her actually acting seriously, and I note that for all his banter, Discord didn't actually dare show up in person until she wasn't around. I guess even chaos trickster demons don't want to mess with the goddess pony with enough telekinetic and/or pyrokinetic might to move the sun.

Cutie Mark Crusaders: Nice job breaking it heroes
Also "Don't call me things I don't know the meaning of!"

Discord: Got to say, compared to Nightmare Moon, this guy is a true villain. No half-assed indirect ploys that only bring the main group tighter together for him. John de Lancie brings all of his Qish jerkassery to the character, and it is awesome. This is a really dark villain for a little kid's show, even if they do airbrush things bubblegum pink to try and disguise it. Here we have a demon trickster with immense magical power who A) Ruled over the land long ago and brought great suffering B) Psychologically torments and then mind rapes the main cast C) Really and truly enjoys doing it. He's just so gleefully happy to be shattering the pony's little brains, it's rather twisted. I love this guy.
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

My favorite is Twilight Sparkle...but that's me.

I'm also watching the Emmys....and blogging about it....
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

A really dark villain for a kids show? There's a trope for that.
Is kind of sick though, to think [Fluttershy] not only has such low self esteem, but is perfectly fine with it.
I don't think this really fits. Fluttershy doesn't have low self esteem. She's just painfully shy and introverted, and has a good grasp of what her weaknesses are, and that's what she's perfectly fine with. All the bravery and determination she's consistently summoned over the series doesn't really mesh with low self esteem.

For ponies with self esteem problems, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash have worse self esteem than Fluttershy.

Also,

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Lord Styphon wrote:I don't think this really fits. Fluttershy doesn't have low self esteem. She's just painfully shy and introverted,
I've always seen the former to the be the cause of the two latter.
and has a good grasp of what her weaknesses are, and that's what she's perfectly fine with. All the bravery and determination she's consistently summoned over the series doesn't really mesh with low self esteem.
Consistently? The Dragon and the Cockatrice are the two big examples, and those were rather extreme circumstances. Other than that, I can think of Rarity pressuring her into telling her what was wrong with her dress and finally getting fed up enough with be a model to tell Rarity how much she hated it. 4 out of 26 seems pretty low to be calling it consistent.
For ponies with self esteem problems, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash have worse self esteem than Fluttershy.
Problems, certainly, but I wouldn't rate them as worse off.
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Consistently? The Dragon and the Cockatrice are the two big examples, and those were rather extreme circumstances. Other than that, I can think of Rarity pressuring her into telling her what was wrong with her dress and finally getting fed up enough with be a model to tell Rarity how much she hated it. 4 out of 26 seems pretty low to be calling it consistent.
You're forgetting about the manticore. And the hydra. And stealing Celestia's phoenix. She didn't flinch when the Diamond Dogs jumped her and the others in the cave, either.

To be fair, she was running from the hydra, but what was important was she wasn't panicking like she was with the dragon, which, as she explained, was the thing she was most afraid of. Whenever the situation has called for her to be strong, she's met the challenge.
Problems, certainly, but I wouldn't rate them as worse off.
Rainbow Dash is brash and cocky, but has a fear of failure that can be crippling. Pinkie Pie, meanwhile, has fragile self-esteem. For the second time in three episodes, she's ended up broken because she thought her friends didn't like her.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Just watched it. Can't wait to see the ponies bring out a can of whoop ass next ep. :3
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, did they get to all shout: "Hail Eris! Hail Discord(ia)!"?? :-?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

^^^ I guess you'll just have to watch it. MWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAA!!!
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I still think that John DeLancie is getting type cast...and I liked how Pinkie Pie looked almost orgasmic in the chocolate rain :))
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

TellusEidolon wrote:To stay on topic; i'll be watching the online premiere of Casey Jones the Movie tonight/today.
^This movie is pretty good. :)
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

ChewbaccaStomper

Post by ChewbaccaStomper »

TellusEidolon wrote:
TellusEidolon wrote:To stay on topic; i'll be watching the online premiere of Casey Jones the Movie tonight/today.
^This movie is pretty good. :)

More like, Awesometastic! They even got the guy who did Michelangelo's voice for the original movies!
chewbaccastomper.tumblr.com <--- Check out my artwork!

It's been a long time since I've been around. Hopefully not too much has changed!

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

It's Premiere Week!

That means that, tonight, we finally got to find out what role Ashton Kutcher was going to be playing on Two and Half men.

It isn't Charlie. They killed him off.
Hawaii Five-O and How I Met Your Mother had AWESOME first shows for the season. BEERCULES! \m/

...Hawaii Five-O's premiere is the reason I'm like this right now. This is what cop shows do to me.

...I'm not going to lie, tomorrow night is going to be at least twice as worse. It's NCIS premiere. *_* My show. It's back. I am THROWING MYSELF A PARTY FOR IT. No one else will be there but I don't care. NCIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*rolls around in fangirlish glee*
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

mac2

Post by mac2 »

I don't think Yira will be joining us this evening. She probably fangirled herself into a coma after NCIS. It was pretty damn awesome. They did resolve the cliffhanger from the last season finale quickly, but they left us with an even bigger one. @-) Knowing this show, the next few episodes will be case-of-the-week stuff. :-w I'm looking forward to seeing where they take the show this season.

I was almost as excited about the premiere as Yira. Can you tell?
Yes, it is as bad as you think, and they are out to get you

Everything is significant until proven otherwise.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

AWESOME EPISODE WAS AWESOME. So was the LA team. Didn't get to see "Unforgettable" like I planned on since Mom came home and issues from therapy were discussed.

BUT OMG OMG OMG THE VULNERABILITY AND THE TWIST AT THE END. SECNAV'S "I OWN YOU"

*flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*